Published 3 October 2018
Applications asap / Closes 12:00 noon CET Monday 5 November 2018
Access Info Europe, an international human rights organisation specialising in the right of access to information, based in Madrid, is looking to recruit a communications officer to support our work to advance the right of access to information across Europe, both at the national and EU levels.
The position is based in our offices in central Madrid. Applications from outside Madrid are welcome, although please note that we do not provide relocation expenses.
Interested candidates should send a CV and a maximum one page cover letter expressing your interest in Access Info to email@example.com. Please send applications as soon as possible as we are looking to recruit immediately. If you have any questions about the position, feel free to drop an email to that same e-mail address.
Communications Officer role
You will be responsible for our external communications, working closely with the Executive Director and the team of researchers, analysts, consultants, and campaigners, as well as liaising with our partner organisations. Your task will be to help ensure that our campaign messages reach our key target audiences as well as the wider public. You will develop and maintain strong relations with journalists across Europe and in Brussels. You will help support internal communications within the team and with partners by supporting our internal information management systems. You will have the opportunity to engage in the substance of our work. The position may involve travel, primarily in Europe.
Successful candidates will have:
- Strong understanding of the areas in which Access Info Europe works, including transparency, open government, open data, democracy and human rights. You do not need extensive experience but you will need to show that you understand the issues and that you are committed to them.
- Strong writing skills in English with proven ability to produce clear, concise texts in short time-frames.
- Experience of writing and editing news texts for websites, press releases (or news articles), and texts for use in multiple social media, as well as writing opinion and analysis pieces.
- Management of design and layout of reports and/or demonstrable capacity to work with graphic designers in production of reports and campaign materials.
- Campaigning experience, with ability to demonstrate experience of developing and implementing advocacy campaigns.
- Fluent English both oral and written to native or very-near-native level.
- Data analysis and data visualisation experience is an asset.
- Website administration experience, in particular use of WordPress.
- IT competence with solid e-mail, word-processing, and spreadsheet software experience.
- Good team player with a readiness to work as part of a small, dynamic team, and to join in and do a bit of everything when required.
- Project management experience, including project planning, managing relationships with partners and external suppliers, travel logistics and event organisation, and preparation and management of budgets, are all assets.
- Information Management strengths: good information management is essential to ensure effective internal and external communications.
- Fluency in Spanish desirable. Knowledge of French and other European languages an asset.
- Experience of working in/with civil society organisations, campaign groups, think tanks, and/or relevant positions in international organisations or public institutions is also an asset.
- Readiness to travel: This work involves travel, primarily in Europe, and the successful candidate must be ready to take some trips, that typically range between a couple of days and a week. Access Info has a system for compensating with time in lieu after trips that involve working weekends or longer hours.
The position will have a salary that is commensurate with experience, in line with civil society salaries in Spain and the cost of living in Madrid. The working week is 40 days (with some of this time allocated to professional development); you will have 30 working days (six weeks) holiday per year. Other benefits are provided after an initial period with the organisation.
Access Info is an equal opportunities employer, as required by our statutes which mandate us to ensure “Equality and non-discrimination in employment practices; in particular practices which guarantee equal opportunities for men, women and for minorities of any kinds. Respect for the rights, values, and beliefs of others.”
Please check our website carefully before applying, and don’t forget in your cover letter to tell us why you want to work with Access Info!