Published 3 October 2018
Applications asap / Closes 12:00 noon CET Monday 5 November 2018
Access Info Europe, an international human rights organisation specialising in the right of access to information, based in Madrid, is looking to recruit a Website & Communications Assistant to support our work to advance the right of access to information across Europe, both at the national and EU levels.
The position is based in our offices in central Madrid. Applications from outside Madrid are welcome, although note that there are no relocation expenses provided.
Interested candidates should send a CV and a maximum one page cover letter expressing your interest in Access Info to email@example.com. Please send applications as soon as possible as we are looking to recruit immediately. If you have any questions about the position, feel free to drop an email to that same e-mail address.
The Website and Communications Assistant will work with the Communications Officer and the Access Info team, reporting regularly to the Executive Director. You will be responsible for the day-to-day functioning of the Access Info website (and other project websites), and related communication infrastructure (mailing list, social media, etc.). We have external technical support and maintenance of hosting and upgrades for the website, but you should have a very strong knowledge of WordPress and other IT experience in order to be able to ensure that all is running smoothly. The work will include uploading articles and graphics, preparing campaigns for sending via the mailing list and social media. You will coordinate with translators, and will liaise with our external hosting service. You will have an opportunity to engage in our campaigning work, in particular if you have strong data analysis and data visualisation skills. You will further have the opportunity to engage in the running of the AsktheEU.org website, which is run in collaboration with mySociety in the UK.
Successful candidates will have:
- Education and/or experience in website work, with a good knowledge of WordPress and other communications and web software (including mailing lists, data bases, etc.)
- Competence with HTML is essential, and knowledge of programming languages is an asset.
- IT competence with solid e-mail, word-processing, and spreadsheet software experience.
- Data analysis and data visualisation skills are an asset.
- Good understanding of the areas in which Access Info Europe works, including transparency, open government, open data, democracy and human rights. You do not need extensive experience but you will need to show that you understand the issues and that you are committed to them.
- Fluent English and Spanish in both oral and written communication – you should be level B2 or higher. Knowledge of other European languages is an asset.
- Good team player with a readiness to work as part of a small, dynamic team, and to join in and do a bit of everything when required.
- Project management experience, including project planning, travel logistics and event organisation, and preparation and management of budgets, are all assets.
- Experience of working in/with civil society organisations, campaign groups, think tanks, and/or relevant positions in international organisations or public institutions is also an asset.
The position will have a salary that is commensurate with experience, in line with civil society salaries in Spain and the cost of living in Madrid. The working week is 40 days (with some of this time allocated to professional development); you will have 30 working days (six weeks) holiday per year. Other benefits are provided after an initial period with the organisation.
Access Info is an equal opportunities employer, as required by our statutes which mandate us to ensure “Equality and non-discrimination in employment practices; in particular practices which guarantee equal opportunities for men, women and for minorities of any kinds. Respect for the rights, values, and beliefs of others.”
Please check our website carefully before applying, and don’t forget in your cover letter to tell us why you want to work with Access Info!