Madrid, 5 September 2022 – Access Info is proud to announce its renewed Board of Directors and International Advisory Board (IAB), with leading experts in access to information and related fields from across Europe.
This leadership and governance team will guide our staff, promote the organisation, and refine our strategy so that the right of access to information can be used to help address current challenges, including defending democracy, combatting corruption, and delivering a just climate transition.
The diverse group includes journalists, lawyers, CSO directors, and campaigners, and has good gender balance, reflects how Access Info is prioritising creating a broad community of support for the right of access to information and open data across Europe.
“As Access Info celebrates 16 years of successful work to advance transparency in Europe, we are incredibly grateful to the new Board members for sharing their valuable experience in support of our mission and we are excited to be working together,” said Helen Darbishire, Executive Director, Access Info Europe.
The new Board of Directors
Access Info has also renewed its Board of Directors, our governance body, with two previous members becoming President and Vice President, and three new members, two of whom are also on the IAB so as to ensure coordination between the two governance bodies. Access Info’s Founder, Helen Darbishire remains as Executive Director.
This Board of Directors now comprises:
- President: Carlos Cordero Sanz, Director of Sustentia, and one of the Access Info’s founders. He was the previous Secretary.
- Vice President: Christian Mihr, Journalist and Director of RSF Germany. He was the previous Treasurer.
- Treasurer: Ainhoa Alzola, financial services professional.
- Secretary: Joan Barata Mir, Legal expert and Fellow at the Cyber Policy Center of Stanford University.
- IAB liaison: Carole Ewart, Convener of the Campaign for Freedom of Information in Scotland.
“The members of the Board of Directors have supported Access Info for years, with our President Carlos Cordero having helped to found it. Their contributions to the well-functioning, longevity, and impact of our organisation are invaluable,” added Darbishire.
You can see here all the bios of the members of the Board of Directors.
The new International Advisory Board
These are the twelve members of the IAB:
- Sergejus Muravjovas, CEO at Transparency International Lithuania. He currently acts as the Chair of the IAB.
- Alexander Fanta, Journalist at netzpolitik.org.
- Ana Revuelta, Regional Coordinator at UNCAC Coalition, and OGP IRM.
- Anuška Delić, Investigative journalist and Founder of Oštro.
- Carole Ewart, Convener of the Campaign for Freedom of Information in Scotland.
- Daniel Sarmiento, Lawyer and Professor at the Complutense University of Madrid.
- Gavin Sheridan, Investigative journalist and CEO at Vizlegal.
- Gergana Jouleva, Director of Access to Information Programme Bulgaria.
- Joan Barata Mir, Legal expert and Fellow at the Cyber Policy Center of Stanford University.
- Katarzyna Batko-Tołuć, Programme Director at Citizens Network Watchdog Poland.
- Marta López Torres, Lawyer, and both Founder and Editorial Director of Plankton Press.
- Staffan Dahllöf, Freelance journalist.
See here for the bios of the International Advisory Board members.
Access Info thanks all those stepping down from the governance bodies, including our previous President, Alberto Alemanno – Professor in European Union Law at HEC & The Good Lobby, and the previous Chair of the International Advisory Board, Päivi Leino-Sandberg – Professor of Transnational European Law, University of Helsinki
On the website here you can see the full list of Honorary Members.